Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Get It Through Your Head

Scripture Memory:

     How can a young man keep his way pure?
      By living according to your word.
      I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.
      I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
      With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.
     I rejoice in following your statues as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.... Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge. In the night I remember your name, O Lord, and I will keep your law....If your law had not been in my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life. Save me, for I am yours; I have sought out your precepts.... Your promises have been thoroughly tested, and your servant loves them....Trouble and distress have come upon me, but your commands are my delight.

Scripture: Psalm 119:9-11, 13-16/ 54-55, 92-94, 140, 143

Defining Moments:

     You're going to be memorizing something. Either it's song lyrics, or Oscar nominations, or Mark Maguire's home run totals. You're going to be paying enough attention to some interesting aspect of life that the minutest details will become common knowledge to you.
     Know what, though? This time next year, you'll have a hard time remembering who even played in the last three Super Bowls, though at the time they seemed so important. You'll forget who your state senator beat in the previous election, though at the time you devoured every article on the race. You'll lose track of the TV story line that used to keep you awake at nights trying to figure out what was going to happen next week.
     " But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you" ( John 14:26). If, instead of filling your mind with forgettable facts, you load up on the words of life, you place within constant retrieval the right word for every situation.

Next Up:

     Right along with letting the Bible become a staple in your daily diet, prayer will open your life to ongoing fellowship with God. And keep you going all day long.

     Everybody thinks that memorizing Bible verses is too hard for them, too much trouble. Forget that.

     " One of the primary reasons for studying the Bible is to provide Him with the Word to bring to our remembrance--when we need it."
      -Evelyn Christenson

No comments:

Post a Comment