Thursday, January 31, 2019

Diary of a Destiny

Keeping a Journal:

      When I was in distress, I sought the Lord, at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted.
      I remembered you, O God, and I groaned; I mused, and my spirit grew faint. You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak.
     I thought about the former days, the years of long ago; I remembered my songs in the night.
     My heart mused and my spirit inquired: " Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again?
     " Had his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time?
      " Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?"
      Then I thought, " To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High,"
     I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
     I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.
     Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God?

Scripture: Psalm 77:2-13

Defining Moments:

     When life is right on top of you, when you're wrestling with every detail of your current concerns and troubles, it's hard to imagine a day in the future when you won't be able to recall the way you feel right now or remember how difficult this certain decision was. More importantly, it seems impossible that you won't reflect on how God met you in your misery, pulling you through at the last minute, in ways you never expected.
     But that day will come. And with it another new challenge, perhaps different but no less imposing, no less complex than the situation before.
     Then one morning, your stomach in a knot, you'll pull out your personal journal, flip to a page dated two or three years back, and be suddenly transported to another time and place, to another crossroads conflict that seemed so huge at the time. Wow, you'd almost forgotten about it. Look how desperate you were. Feel the pain in your words. And remember the faithfulness of God--the God who's still here, to deal with the pressure that's so fresh today. Don't you feel better now?

Next Up:

     Worship looks as good in your weekday outfits as it does in your Sunday clothes. Praising God through the day will dress up the way you think, act, and feel.

Trust the ones who've walked this way before. You'll be so glad you kept a record of your journey.

     " Informed by the past, we can speak to God with specific hopes for the future, and with certain assurances about the present."
     -Welton Gaddy

No comments:

Post a Comment