Monday, October 30, 2017

Unraveling the Mysteries

I have always enjoyed the wit and insight of Peanuts creator, Charles Schulz. One of my favorite cartoons drawn by him appeared in a book about young people in the church. It shows a young man holding a Bible as he tells a friend on the phone, " I think I've made one of the first steps toward unraveling the mysteries of the Old Testament...I'm starting to read it!" ( Teen-Ager is Not a Disease).
      Psalm 119 overflows with the writer's hunger to understand and experience the power of God's Word each day. " Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long". This eager pursuit leads to growing wisdom, understanding, and obedience to the Lord.
      The Bible doesn't contain a magic formula for " unraveling the mysteries" in its pages. The process is more than mental and requires a response to what we read. While some passages may remain puzzling to us, we can embrace those truths we clearly understand, and say to the Lord, " How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path".
      A wonderful journey of discovery awaits us in God's Word.
      Lord, thank You for the Bible, which gives us wisdom and understanding to follow Your pathway of life today.
      A commitment to read and follow God's Word begins a daily journey of discovering His love and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment